Monday, February 7, 2011

Artist Statement

I believe that truth and real life are ultimately more inspiring than even the most honest fiction. Documentary filmmaking allows a fleeting glance across a range of difference. I am curious about the lived experiences of those who differ from myself, how they feel, what they think, what is important to them, what they are passionate about. I want to learn about the space that they occupy, geographically, mentally, and physically, in the world. I am interested in bringing those stories to life, to resonate with people who share their emotional, if not life experience. I am deeply moved by happiness borne out of hardship, of struggle, of love and of survival. These are the elements fundamental to making us human, and I want people to be reminded of these elements. Humanity lies within small moments that we share and struggle with every day, from a child’s triumph in learning to tie a shoe to the triumph of the first democratic vote in Iraq. I enjoy watching people who are passionate about what they do, and it is when that passion is shared that we find the common ground between us. It is my passion to find the common ground between people.

6 comments:

  1. I love that you are interested in finding the common ground between you and another, I can totally relate. Have you thought of taking the non-fiction film making class at Hunter? I would love to take that class as I think lived experience are always the ones we can learn the most from, however, this does make me a sucker for reality shows.
    See you in class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes yes! This is why doc films are so amazing -- they allow us to see the lives of people who are different from us and to see the commonalities we share. Have you ever heard of the doc GENGHIS BLUES? It's one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love documentary film too! While I was in Korea, I made one. It was really stressful, but I had a great experience at that time. Documentary film makes me think people, culture, emotion, etc... It has everyting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am intrigued by your passion, I can feel it through your words! I admire your need to want to find/build a common ground amongst people. Our passions are on the same path; I want to give a better future for the children, but it starts by having a common ground with the people!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Powerful words man. . . Your eagerness will surely drive you to a wonderful adventures full of stories, people, and meaning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your writing truly shows how interested and passionate you are about documentary films! With that kind of drive you will surely find interesting work to do!

    ReplyDelete